Temporary Environmental Scientist
(Approximately 9-12 months -Mat Cover)
Location: Craigmore Road, Garvagh
We are looking to appoint a Temporary Environmental Scientist who will have responsibility for ensuring all waste management activities, projects and all aspects of fieldwork across the RiverRidge group are compliant in line with our environmental and statutory obligations.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate who is ready for a challenge and would like to develop their skills and capabilities in this field and gain invaluable experience in this position.
Purpose of the Job
The postholder will be responsible for ensuring that RiverRidge conducts all waste management activities in accordance with company policies, environmental legislation, Health & safety legislation and Statutory legal obligations
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for ensuring all waste management activities within the sites are conducted in accordance with company policies, environmental legislation, Health & safety legislation and Statutory legal obligations.
- Work in partnership with all divisions throughout the group to achieve the company objectives.
- To support and advise the Operations team in the continuous development and improvement of company policies and procedures in line with evolving environmental legislation.
- Liaising with regulatory bodies such as NIEA and NIW and all other representatives on behalf of the Company.
- Responsible for all environmental reporting and responding to environmental complaints in a timely, competent and professional manner
- Responsible for all Field based work, including sampling and monitoring of landfill leachate, landfill gas, groundwater and surface waters at our sites throughout the group
- Ensuring that all PPC permits, Waste Management licences are up to date.
- Maintaining the Environmental ISO accreditation by updating the Company’s IMS system
- Responsible for all data handling, inputting data into various databases, manipulation in Excel of monitoring data and chemical laboratory results and trend analysis.
- Responsible for ensuring our Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR) and Anaerobic Digester(AD) systems are fully functional and operating in line with our legal obligations
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by Management
- Take responsibility for the Health and Safety of yourself and others whilst at work and to comply with the Company’s policies and legislation
- Support Company Initiatives and demonstrate Company Values.
- To comply with all legal, regulatory and statutory obligations applicable to the role.
- Participate in training and personal development activities, as required.
- Be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to your role;
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by the Company.
To be considered for this role, you should display the following:
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent in a relevant discipline; environmental science, environmental engineering or have at least 3 years’ experience working in a similar role
- Full UK Driving licence required (max 6 points) as field- based role working over a range of our sites in Northern Ireland
- Must be willing to work outdoors in a variety of environments
- Previous experience in application of permits, environmental licences
- Knowledge of mechanical or electrical systems and Scada for SBR
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Must be IT literate and demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of MS office in particular WORD and EXCEL to enable production of reports, charts presentations etc.
- Excellent analytical skills
- Able to prioritise effectively and is results driven
Ideally you will be qualified in any of the below:
- NEBOSH or IOSH qualified
- WAMITAB (or CoTC) qualified
This job description is a summary of the main duties of the role but is not exhaustive. It may be reviewed and updated regularly in discussion with the post holder.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the Company application form, outlining how you meet the criteria and return either by post to: Recruitment, RiverRidge, Electra Road, Maydown, BT47 6UL
no later than 5.00pm on Thursday 15th October 2020
Click here for Equality Form: Equality Form ES
Click here for Application Form: Application Form ES
In the event of a large number of applications we reserve the right to enhance our selection criteria at the short-listing stage.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer